|A healthy fall treat. Great for breakfast, snack, or along with soup.|
adapted from womansday.com
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup wheat bran
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup pumpkin puree
2/3 cup buttermilk (or add slightly less than 1 Tbsp. vinegar to milk)
1/4 cup oil or applesauce (if you choose applesauce then spraying the paper liners helps the muffins not to stick)
orange mascarpone cream for serving (optional) Mix mascarpone with orange zest and honey to taste
1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, wheat bran, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate large bowl whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, buttermilk, and oil (or applesauce).
4. Fold the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Divide the batter between the muffin cups and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
5. If desired serve the muffins with orange cream.