|Oodles of greens in noodles. Deliciousness on steroids. The whole family loved this dish.|
Adapted from How Sweet It Is
1/2 pound whole wheat linguine
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup broccoli, chopped
10 asparagus spears, ends removed and cut into thirds
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 leeks, tough green tops discarded, cleaned, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 oz. fresh spinach
1/2 bunch kale leaves, torn from tough ribs
1/2 cup shelled edamame* (could also substitute frozen peas)
1 ripe avocado
6-8 oz mascarpone cheese (=yum)
2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/3 cup whole grain breadcrumbs (pulse bread in blender to form crumbs and toast in the oven at 300º until crisp)
1 garlic clove
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare pasta. While waiting, start of the rest of the dish. Keep in mind that you need to reserve about 2/3 cup of the pasta water.
2. Heat a large skilled over medium heat. Add 1.5 Tbsp. olive oil, then toss in chopped broccoli and asparagus with 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Toss well to coat, then cook until slightly golden and crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
3. Add remaining olive oil to skillet and head to medium-low. Add leeks and red pepper, stirring well to coat and cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add spinach and kale with remaining salt and pepper, tossing well. Cook and stir until wilted, about 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, add butter to a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk constantly. As soon as brown bits begin to form, remove from heat and whisk for 30 seconds. Let butter stand 2 minutes, then add in minced garlic and whisk. Add in breadcrumbs and stir well. Set aside.
5. Slice avocado in half. Remove flesh from one side, mashing until smooth. Add 2/3 of reserved pasta water and mascarpone cheese and stir until creamy.
6. Add spinach and kale mixture to pan along with pasta and avocado sauce. Finish by adding in the cheese, broccoli, asparagus, and edamame. To serve, slice remaining avocado and add to top of each dish, the sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
*can be special ordered through the Green Barn