|adapted from A Decade of Cooking the Costco Way|
This is a perfect appetizer for holiday parties
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4 naan (or other flatbread, can also use 2 medium-large premade pizza crusts)
2 tangelos, navels, or clementine mandarins (these are the easiest), peeled, segmented and cut into bite-sized pieces
3/4 cup pitted and chopped Mejool dates
1 tsp dried (or 2 tsp fresh) rosemary
2 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
(if you are a Green Barn shopper then look no further for all your ingredients)
1. Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add onions and saute 8-10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, sprinkle salt over the onions, and cook 20 minutes, until the onions are a rich brown color (and smell really good!)
2. Preheat the oven broiler to low.
3. Sprinkle mozzarella over flatbreads. Place under broiler until cheese starts to melt, about 2 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and top with caramelized onions, citrus pieces, dates and rosemary. Sprinkle with feta.
5. Place under broiler for another minute or until toppings are hot and the bread browns slightly. Cut into pieces and serve.