I don't know if lentils are more of a girl food, but it seems the majority of men aren't super excited when they are on the menu. Adding bacon should entice those who might be hesitant :)
1 1/4 c. brown or green lentils, rinsed
1 quart (4 c.) cold water or chicken broth
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces mushrooms (I used cremini), coarsely chopped
3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
1 tsp. lemon juice
6-12 slices bacon, preferably thick cut
grated cheese, optional (about 1 cup, since cheese makes anything taste good and makes the good taste better)
1. Place lentils in a large saucepan, cover with water or broth, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer gently until tender, about 35 minutes. Drain well (oops, I forgot this part but it turned out fine).
2. Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the onion and saute just until softened and pale golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Add the butter and the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are tender. Add the lentils, 3 Tbsp. parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and heat just until warmed through.
3. In a separate skillet fry the bacon until crisp.
4. Sprinkle the lentils with parsley, bacon, left whole or crumbled into pieces and cheese (We used cumin gouda). Homemade bread or some fresh hearty rolls are a delicious accompaniment.
* all ingredients are available at the Green Barn
Here is another lentil recipe that I think is yummy. It is from one of my mom's old cookbooks called The More With Less Cookbook (or something like that)
Sweet & Sour Lentils
1 c. lentils, rinsed
2 c. water plus 2 tsp. Better than Bouillon beef base or 2 c. beef broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt
-bring the above ingredients to a boil and simmer 20 minutes
1/4 c. apple or pineapple juice
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/8 tsp ground cloves
some sauteed onion
-add the above to cooked lentils, heat until bubbly.
serve over rice
You can also add sausage or chicken