|A family favorite. This wholesome version of the classic dish is comfort food at its best. The rich flavors of beef and mushrooms complemented by a delicious creamy sauce is so delicious served over quinoa or brown rice.|
1-1½ pound ground beef
2-3 cups mushrooms (we love cremini or shiitake but white button would work fine too) sliced
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic, minced
butter or oil for frying
8 oz. sour cream
2 tsp. better than bouillon beef base
½ cup water
2 Tbsp. tapioca starch (or flour) for thickener
fresh herbs like parsley or thyme
1. In a bowl stir together sour cream, tapioca starch, bouillon, water, and pepper to taste.
2. In a large skillet heat butter over med-high and fry mushrooms on both sides until golden brown. sauté in batches if needed in order not to crowd the mushrooms! Set aside.
3. Sauté onion and garlic in oil or butter. Add to mushroom mixture.
4. Brown beef. If not using grass fed/organic then drain fat. Add mushroom and onion mixture. Stir in sour cream mix and cook until thickened and bubbly.
5. Serve over quinoa or rice and garnish with fresh herbs.