Friday, October 11, 2013

gluten free multigrain bread

I was hopeful (but kind of skeptical) that gluten free bread could be tasty based on sampling products in the past.  I searched around until I found some promising recipes. This is my first attempt and I have to say I think it turned out great. It actually tastes like bread and has an excellent texture. Since it doesn't require kneading it is pretty simple to make. I am on a gluten free diet for at least a month until my allergy tests come back, so it possibly I will have to stay away from gluten for life (yikes!), hence the recent gluten-free recipes. After tasting this bread I know it won't be too horrendous if I am gluten intolerant :)

adapted from Allergy Free Alaska. She also has some other great-looking GF bread recipes

 Ingredients:

dry:
1 cup millet flour
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
1/2 cup blanched almond meal/flour
1/2 cup amaranth (or teff flour). I had to grind some amaranth in the blender to make it fine
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup flax meal
2 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt

wet:
3 eggs
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. molasses
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

yeast ingredients:
1 1/4 cup hot water (110º-115ºF)
2 Tbsp. honey
2 1/2 tsp. dry active yeast (NOT instant)

Directions:

1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the honey and hot water. Sprinkle in the yeast and give it a quick stir to combine. Allow to proof for 7 minutes exactly (set a timer). Make sure you have all the other wet and dry ingredients mixed and ready to go when the time is up!

2. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk together (This and the next steps can also be done in a mixer if you happen to have one, which I don't).

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, molasses, and vinegar.

4. When the yeast is done proofing, add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir until it's a little paste-like, then slowly add the yeast mixture. Mix for about 30 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl then mix on medium 2-3 minutes or until the dough is smooth.

5. Pour dough into parchment lined and well greased 9x5 metal bread pan. Cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 45-60 minutes (check at 30 minutes). When dough is close to reaching the plastic wrap, remove it; allow dough to rise remaining time uncovered. When bread is finished rising, bake in preheated 375º oven for about 30 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and allow it to cool on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before slicing.


No comments:

Post a Comment